Part Time Maintenance Technician
Job Title: Technician, Maintenance
Status / FLSA Status: Part Time / Nonexempt
Classification: Classified (Facilities)
Reports To: Director, Facilities
Location: District Wide
Date Reviewed: August 2017
Date Updated: July 2015
The Maintenance Technician provides general building and grounds maintenance services at the assigned College campus as well as provides mail courier services, including the delivery of mail, boxes, freight and equipment between campuses on a rotating or assigned basis.
- Coordinates assigned maintenance projects with other maintenance employees.
- Ensures the proper execution of assigned work duties.
- Provides building and equipment repairs such as lock replacement, scaffolding erection, and bulb replacement in lighting fixtures.
- Provides facility-painting services.
- Provides lawn and garden care services.
- Provides snow and ice removal services.
- Empties trash containers throughout the Campus.
- Provides litter removal on the grounds of the Campus.
- Locks and unlocks doors required for facility use.
- May perform the daily intra-campus mail courier route on a rotating or assigned basis including but not limited to: Gathering mail from the Canton Campus's mailroom and Bookstore to begin the delivery route; Gathering and delivering textbooks or other classroom materials from the College Book Store at Canton to other College campuses; Assisting the Maintenance Office with retrieval and delivery of equipment at each of the College campuses.
- May operate and maintain various pieces of large equipment such as tractors with sixteen-foot mowers, snowplows, and spreaders.
- May provide training to new maintenance employees.
- May assist the Maintenance Office with retrieval and delivery of equipment at each of the College campuses.
- May assist with electrical, plumbing, and other carpenter duties.
- Reports difficulties and potential problem issues to the Facilities Director or appropriate campus supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
- One year of related experience is preferred.
- Experience using large equipment such as tractors with sixteen-foot mowers is preferred.
- Experience using commercial type paint is preferred.
- A current and valid Illinois State Driver's License and a satisfactory personal and/or professional driving record is required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, instructions, and manuals. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Superior organizational, interpersonal, client service, and communication skills, is required.
- Ability to demonstrate responsibility, dependability, and a positive attitude is preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical demands for this position include the ability to stand, sit, walk, reach, stoop, bend, push, pull, kneel, climb, use hands and fingers, and talk / hear for extended periods of time. This position requires the ability to lift and/or carry weight up to seventy (70) pounds without assistance. Vision requirements include the ability to view and read instructions and the ability to operate a vehicle safely.
The work environment for this position includes extremes in indoor and outdoor temperatures. Potential physical risk related to moving mechanical equipment such as mowers. May work in high, precarious places. Exposure to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals such as paint and cleaning agents. Limited risk of electrical shock. Noise levels are moderate to loud.
Education: High School Diploma
Tell a Friend