Instructional Specialist (Science), Student Support Services GrantPart TimeMacomb CampusSalary Range :15.0000 (USD) Hourly Onwards
Status / FLSA Status: PT / Nonexempt (10 month, up to 18 hours per week, grant funded)
Classification: Professional Support
Department: Student Services
Reports To: Director, TRIO-Student Support Services Grant
Location: Macomb Campus
The Instructional Specialist (Science) provides related academic enrichment workshops and supplemental instruction to individuals identified as TRIO-Student Support Services (SSS) grant participants.
1. Develops and conducts academic enrichment workshops for SSS grant participants, including, but not limited to, instruction and coaching in study skills, time management skills, research skills & techniques, and computer skills (basic computer workshops).
2. Provides supplemental instruction in Sciences for SSS grant participants who lack proficiency.
3. Assists with project orientation to eligible SSS participants.
4. Assists with cultural trips and transfer college visits, as needed.
5. Successfully collaborates with instructors to assist students with comprehension and demonstration of knowledge/skills.
6. Provides updates and participation data to SSS Director and Project Advisor.
7. Enters participant data and records services to meet U.S. Department of Education reporting requirements.
8. Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Education or related field is required.
2. Two to four years teaching or tutoring experience is required.
3. Experience working with disadvantaged students/working adults is required.
4. A current and valid Illinois driver’s license with a clear motor vehicle records check (per the college’s definition of an authorized driver) is required.
5. Experience in curriculum development is preferred.
6. Experience in computer aided instruction is preferred.
7. Demonstrated expertise in word processing/spreadsheets is preferred.
8. A background similar to participants is preferred. Preference given to individuals who have succeeded in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the program’s target population.
9. Ability to work with others in a professional manner while attempting to achieve a common goal.
10. Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative.
11. Experience with Microsoft applications and personal computer skills are required with the ability to learn the Spoon River College information system and new programs as technology changes.
12. Must possess a high level of confidentiality and accuracy. Must possess the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities; deal with conflict appropriately; withstand pressure, and remain calm in tense situations. Must possess problem solving skills; flexibility, dependability, and responsibility. Must possess the ability to work in a team centered environment and demonstrate a positive attitude.
13. Must possess organizational abilities, superior interpersonal skills and client service skills, and verbal and written communication skills with the ability to speak before groups.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical demands for this position include the ability to regularly sit, use hands and fingers, talk and hear. This position requires limited standing, walking, reaching, stooping / kneeling. Vision requirements for this position include close vision including the ability to view text from a computer monitor. May be required to lift up to 10 pounds without assistance. This position requires some driving for field trips and cultural activities.
Work environment for this position includes typical office environment with no extremes in temperature, noise, and limited physical risk.
Education: Bachelors Degree
Tell a Friend